This Friday, President Barack Obama officially blamed North Korea for the recent cyber-attack on Sony Picture which eventually forced the company to stop the release of the controversial movie, ‘The Interview’. It was initially scheduled to release on Christmas day this year. However, North Korea released an official statement later saying that it was not involved in the attack on Sony and wanted a joint investigation into the incident with United States.
North Korea’s spokesperson even added that there would be “grave consequences” if United States did not agree to a joint investigation with North Korea and continued to blame them for the incident. This was the first such response from the country, which is usually isolated from the rest of the world.
“As the United States is spreading groundless allegations and slandering us, we propose a joint investigation with it into this incident.” said a North Korean spokesperson. “Without resorting to such tortures as were used by the CIA, we have means to prove that this incident has nothing to do with us.”
“If the U.S. refuses to accept our proposal for a joint investigation and continues to talk about some kind of response by dragging us into the case, it must remember there will be grave consequences,” the spokesman added.
This response comes at a time when Obama criticized Sony for the cancellation of the movie without consulting with him first. He further said that a dictator someplace cannot just start imposing censorship in the society and vowed to respond to the cyber-attack. After this statement from Obama, Sony pictures which had earlier said that it was cancelling all the release plans of the movie, responded by saying that the company had not given in but persevered. In fact, it was left with no choice since the majority of nation’s theater owners decided not to screen the film. Sony’s statement further said that it still hopes that interested people will get the opportunity to watch the movie.
FBI concluded North Korea was behind the attack after finding links to malware that were previously found in cyber-criminal attacks that were tied to North Korea. Experts suggest that the method of hacking was similar to the attacks made on South Korean banks and Television stations by Dark Seoul Gang back in March 2013.
United States is yet to respond to this invitation to a joint inquiry with North Korea on the incident.
For comments and suggestions, leave a message in the comments section below. Like and Follow our Facebook page for more stories and to stay up-to-date with the latest happenings.